Founding: Alpha Chapter
The organization of the Alpha chapter of Areta (the original name for Alpha Delta Chi; the Greek word means 'virtue') on the campus of UCLA was founded in the fall of 1925 as a direct result of faith and foresight on the part of two students – Evelyn Kepple Kay and Ruth Umsted Ohly. Evelyn and Ruth felt the need for a sorority of women who were active in Christian service. They gathered a group of Christian friends who became the esteemed founders: Ruth Umsted Ohly, Evelyn Kepple Kay, Marion Wright Madden, Willard Crowder Clawson, Theta Singerland Dean, Alice Slingerland McEachern, Amy Culp, Dora Marie Showalter Goertz, Dorothea Harvey Schultz, and Alma Becker.
The first annual convention of Alpha Delta Chi was held in Berkeley on April 6-7, 1939. Twenty-six representatives from the Alpha and Beta chapters, along with alumnae, attended the convention. It was at this convention that the idea of a central organization was discussed and initiated. The National Association, or Areta, was named the National Fraternity of Alpha Delta Chi, and the National Executive Advisory Board was formed.
In order to become a member of Alpha Delta Chi, you must desire to fulfill all of the membership requirements.
Click here for a complete list.
The Epsilon chapter of Alpha Delta Chi was chartered in 1949 at the University of Southern California. The chapter was declared inactive shortly after its foundation due to declining membership.
In 2006, the chapter was re-chartered by a group of zealous Christian sisters entering the University as freshmen. These women are pictured below (left to right): Jennifer Benbow, Heather Marie Brainerd, Loni Iverson Cariaga, Jenna Lynn Bagnoli, Lauren Levonian Kaldjian.
aims and purposes
Colors: Flame and Blue
Flowers: Gladiolus and Delphinium
Verse: "For we all with unveiled face, reflecting as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image, from glory to glory, even as by the spirit of the Lord." -2 Corinthians 3:18